20.5.06

"The Good Body"

No seguimento do que temos estado a discutir nos últimos dias sobre os tamanhos das roupas nas lojas e os ideais de beleza na publicidade, achei que deveria pôr aqui um excerto de um livro que li há pouco tempo:

"In the midst of a war in Iraq, in a time of escalating global terrorism, when civil liberties are disappearing as fast as the ozone layer, when one out of three women in the world will be beaten or raped in her lifetime, why write a play about my stomach?

Maybe because my stomach is one thing I feel I have control over, or maybe because I have hoped that my stomach is something I could get control over. Maybe because I see how my stomach has come to occupy my attention, I see how other women’s stomachs or butts or thighs or hair or skin have come to occupy their attention, so that we have very little left for the war in Iraq—or much else, for that matter. When a group of ethnically diverse, economically disadvantaged women in the United States was recently asked about the one thing they would change in their lives if they could, the majority of these women said they would lose weight. Maybe I identify with these women because I have bought into the idea that if my stomach were flat, then I would be good, and I would be safe. I would be protected. I would be accepted, admired, important, loved.
(...)
Tell the image makers and magazine sellers and the plastic surgeons that you are not afraid. That what you fear the most is the death of imagination and originality and metaphor and passion. Then be bold and LOVE YOUR BODY STOP FIXING IT. It was never broken."

in "The Good Body", Eve Ensler (2001) - mais informação aqui

Don't Diet, Riot!!! :)

3 comentários:

Taxista Feminista disse...

Também já li o livro - é fantástico, tal como os "Monólogos da Vagina", da mesma autora...

mulheres_estejam_caladas disse...

Gostei do excerto. Os códigos de beleza fazem-nos sentir odiosas, podemos lutar por muitas liberdades, mas nunca nos libertamos da vergonha pelo corpo. Obrigada por este tema.

abrunho disse...

A camada de ozono está em recuperação. Só para saberem. As pessoas adoram fazer analogias com a ciência quando não entendem a ponta de um corno. Dava para estudo.